Thursday, May 7, 2009

Can we say drug addict?

So I called ahead to the hospital to make sure I could go there to the lab to get the blood draw for this latest kit. I got all the instructions and went there at 7:45am so that I could get right in and get to work without having to take to much time off. I get there and they look at me like I've got 4 heads when I explain what I needed to have done.

They took me to a registar person to get me registered. What should have taken 10 minutes took 45 MINUTES. The entire system to register in patients went down and the woman had to register me in by filling out tons of paperwork.

So that woman took me over to the lab area and I gave the woman there the box and the order. Again, I got the 4-headed look. Why? So I get a buzzer thingy and sit and wait amongst all the other people waiting patiently. The woman at the lab check in asked who I registered, I told her, she picked up the phone to call. All this just to get some blood drawn. Geez!!!

I finally get called back and get settled in the chair that looks like an electric chair. She puts the stretchy thing on my left arm and then stops when she sees the crook in my arm. She asked me about the puncture marks. I told her that I donate blood on a regular basis and I've had two blood draws in as many weeks and for some reason they always go for the left arm. I almost asked her if she wanted to check between my toes and fingers for other track marks.

I got through that fiasco pretty much unharmed. Hungry and aggravated, but unharmed (if you don't count the large red mark from the needle that she left).

Keep in mind that I and the Mayo Coordinator decided that I would do the blood draw tomorrow since the lab was really busy. I went today because my tomorrow is pretty busy and today made more sense. So this morning I get a call from Mayo today reminding me to get the blood draw done if I haven't done it already.

So Tuesday should hold the results.


No comments:

Post a Comment